Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Monday, September 3 (2nd Letter from Chile)


THIS WEEK WAS CRAZYYYY.

So first off, Monday night was the craziest night of my life. We went to a families house for a lesson, and mid lesson we heard gun shots off in the distance... So we all were like "uhh.... okay." It was also the investigators birthday, so we were expecting a nice happy short time at the house. But, the ladies husband who she hates (they dont live together) came to the party, and they were just fighting and arguing all night. And the kids were fighting with them too... it was just really awkward. BUT, even more, the aunt was there too. She was in a different room watching the Jospeh Smith Restauration video... and midway through she comes walking out of the room and starts offering a prayer in "languages" on the husband about how he needs to change and stuff? Like she was rambling and mumbling in some weird languages speaking nonsense yelling things. It was really creepy and  weird. We didnt know what to do... The Holy Ghost (which wasn´t very strong to begin with because of the fighting) was just GONE. Weird. So then as we left on our bikes, my companions chain fell off, so I pulled him on my bike off the dirt road up to the freeway, because he was explaining the gunshots never happen and it was really weird, so the freeway would be safer... Well as he was fixing the chain, I turn around and see a group of 15 SUPER sketchy kids off in the distance, dressed in all black on the side of the highway. Which is also really weird and never happens, and they started heading our way, so I said "Elder you need to hurry up..." hahaha. So we booked it out of there. As we biked back, 3 ambulances with lights flashing went flying past us, so we figure somebody hit their mark with that shot  :/ So LASTLY. After all that, and we´re already super freaked out. Were biking along the highway, and remember how I said there´s a ton of dogs around, and theyre always going crazy? We were on the right side of the freeway (2 lanes), and a dog saw us on the opposite side and started freaking out and started charging at us. I was a little ahead so I was fine, but the dog was charging RIGHT for Elder Sutterfield. So he was like "oh no..." BUT.... as soon as the dog hit the road, a car was heading the opposite way as us, and I watched the whole thing as the car just nailed the dog, not even stopping, and the dog yelped a little and then just died in the road... It was crazy, we were freaking out, and the spirit was just GONE. We just wanted to get back to the house for the night where we could be safeee. hahaha

SOOOOO that´s my crazy story for the week! At this rate I´ll have one for you each week! :) haha. I told you. It´s crazy here. Definitely not the USA anymore haha. But i´mmmm loving it. Its alot of fun.

I´m finally at the point where the language is frustrating me :/ The reason im frustrated is because the people here automatically assume we don´t know the language... so they´ve gained confidence in my companion because they HAVE to talk to him since i´m "handicapped". But ive just become frustrated because they don´t even TRY talking to me... If they ever have a question about me or want to know something about me or whatever, they just ask my companion. It´s like im not even there! I get referred to as "him" alot... When they talk and I cant understand, i ask them to speak slower or something to help me understand... but they just immediately give up and turn to someone else. It´s just frustrating :/ because I can speak! I just cant understand :( anybody have any tips for understanding the language, besides "patience"? haha Im not expecting to learn it by tomorrow... Its just frustrating and I need all the help I can get haha. That´s my venting sesh.

So this week we also had our wedding! It went awesome! Quite different than a wedding in the states... but it was still happy and fun so thats good :) Everything was done in the chapel. Usually people want something bigger/a bit nicer than a chapel, but here when we tell them they can use it for free and we´ll help with stuff, they get really excited because the chapel actually has a heater and such! haha. Kind of funny. I´ll just attach some pics of that!

Well the next day since the couple was now married, they could be baptized! So we also had 2 baptisms this week! It was awesome! It went really well and Benjasmin and Jordani (the married/baptized couple) were extremely happy! ANDDDD after the baptism while we were waiting for everyone to get changed up, the Branch President came up to me and after 2 or 3 tries to make sure I understood what he was saying (an extra try or two because I was in unbelief) he informed me that I was going to be confirming Jordani a member of the church, giving her the gift of the Holy Ghost, and giving her a blessing. IN SPANISH. I was freaking out. I was asking "Uhhh isnt it supposed to be on sunday??" Hoping to get a day to practice or something, plus its usually done on sundays in church anyways. and he said since we´re a really small branch they just do it then and there... So.... I once again was freaking out. I started praying HARD hahaha. I whipped out my book which told me the order the blessings supposed to be done and started translating asap. I was like "why are they asking me?! She wants a GOOD blessing!" hahaha. I was just freaking out about it. But, so I stepped up and placed my hands on her head and gave her the blessing. In Spanish!!! I did it! Day 10 and I gave someone a blessing in Spanish! When I was done I was in unbelief. haha. I couldn´t believe I did it. haha. I hope they understood it all... haha. But so yeah. I was definitely giving some prayers of thanks after that experience. haha. 

Okay and lastly a quick explanation because I´m going to attach a photo, we have ward activities every friday night, and this night we had a costume dance. So obviously we werent allowed to dance, but we got permission to dress up a little bit. It was very last minute, but so yeah. That´s what the picture is haha. 

Well! That´s kind of all I have to say for this week! The weather´s warmed up really fast, and I continue to play the piano whenever it´s needed haha. We bike lots, I still like the food... and literally I can´t think of anything else haha. OKAY! I love you all and miss you so much! Keep me in your prayers por favor! You´re in mine ;) hahah.

-Elder Heyman

P.s. Okay I remembered one last thing... So I guess I only get mail once a month kind of?.... (long story) So continue to send me letters! haha but just so you know... Which p.s.s. It makes emails more fun to read now :) haha. Okay miss you and love you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment